strong>Cooking time : 75 Minutes
Olive oil 2 tbsp,
Chicken legs (with skin) 4 (we got ours from FRESHPICK)
Flour 1/4 cup,
Salt 2 tsp + more to taste ,
Black pepper 1/2 tsp,
Bacon 4 rashers, chopped ,
Red bell pepper 1, sliced ,
Yellow bell pepper 1, sliced ,
Onion 1 large, sliced ,
Garlic 4 cloves, chopped ,
Button mushrooms 1 cup, sliced ,
Basil a handful, roughly torn ,
Oregano a few sprigs
Red chilli flakes 1 tsp
Tomatoes 4-5, chopped,
Tomato puree 1/2 cup,
Port wine 1/4 cup,
Chicken stock 1 cup,
Parmesan grated, for serving .
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan. Season the flour with 1 tsp of salt and black pepper.
- Dredge the chicken legs in the seasoned flour and brown each side until golden. Remove and set aside.
- Add the chopped bacon to the pan and cook until almost crisp. Add the peppers, onions, garlic, and mushrooms. Sauté for a few minutes.
- Stir in the basil, oregano, red pepper flakes, and salt. Continue to sauté until you can smell the garlic, another few minutes.
- Add in the chopped tomatoes, tomato puree and cook till it starts to release the oil. Deglaze the pan with the wine.
- Pour in the stock, return the chicken to the skillet, skin side up, and bathe the sauce over the pieces. Bring everything up to a simmer and continue to cook, partially covered, for 30 to 40 minutes. Check for seasoning. The sauce should reduce to a thick, coating consistency.
- Serve along with bread or pasta, topped with some grated parmesan.